Skip to main content
- The Oregon Coast Aquarium announced that is now one of six organizations listed as a qualified recipient for Oregon’s Charitable Checkoff Program. This will enable the aquarium to receive a charitable donation directly from 2001 income tax forms. The aquarium is listed in the category “Other Charity” on the personal tax forms. The money will be used for educational programs for schoolchildren as well as conservation programs.
- Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. will be the featured speaker at the Santa Barbara ChannelKeeper’s second annual benefit dinner January 27, 2002 starting at 6pm at the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum in Santa Barbara, California. The dinner will help to raise awareness for the organization and allow it to announce its “organizational independence” from the Environmental Defense Center.
- The Howard Hughes Medical Institute recently awarded $16.25 million in new grants to 43 biomedical researchers in Canada and five Latin-American countries. The five-year grants range from $266,665 to $450,000 and will support the International Research Scholars in different areas of research including genetics, epidemiolgy, virology and neuroscience.
- Volunteer Orange! has some new volunteer opportunities: on January 26, 2002, there will be an all-day conference for Child Care Providers and they are looking for event coordinators. A nonprofit retirement community is seeking volunteers to help with Arts & Crafts, walk dogs that live at the center, and various other activities. You can help a local wildlife shelter or be volunteer in local schools. To get more information about these or other programs, call 919-929-9837.
- The Durham Public Education Network will sponsor their first annual Walk for Education April 13, 2002 in Durham, North Carolina. For more information, call 919-683-6503.
- The Highbridge Voices Concert Choir will perform at City Center in Manhattan, New York on January 24, 2002 starting at 7:30pm. Tickets are $10. The Choir is an afterschool program comprised of a 90-member Training Choir and a Concert Choir of 120 boys and girls ages 9-16 and has been featured on the David Letterman Show and with Celine Dion at Radio Music Hall.