* Ted Turner’s United Nations Foundation announced milestone of $1 billion of resources delivered to United Nations and UN causes in nine years; Turner announced plans to raise another $1 billion. Foundation granted $100,000 to Foundation for United Methodist Communications to help underwrite denominational global health initiative.
* Michael J. Horne Education & Healthcare Assistance Foundation donated $4 million to DePaul University, Chicago, to create Michael J. Horne Chair in Real Estate Studies, to be filled by James D. Shilling.
* Virginia G. Piper Charitable Trust awarded $3.8 million in grants to 20 Maricopa County, Ariz., nonprofits working with human services and performing arts.
* Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation to contribute $1.45 million over three years to support Development Gateway Foundation’s efforts to provide internet solutions to developing countries.
* Nonprofit online Western Governors University announced receipt of $150,000 donation from Sorenson Legacy Foundation to help start new College of Health Professions.
* Rasmuson Foundation, Anchorage, awarded $496,452 in small grants to 27 nonprofits across Alaska.
* The Valley Foundation awarded grant to Hospice of the Valley, San Jose, Calif., to support palliative programs, expansion of services and promotion of access to end-of-life care for low income families.