* John S. and James L. Knight Foundation announced $1.7 million donation to Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, N.Y., to fund university-wide course in news literacy, to be taught to more than 10,000 students over next four years.
* John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation announced $750,000 grant to U.S. Military Academy to double available overseas internships for cadets studying social sciences.
* California Community Foundation, Los Angeles, awarded total of $100,000 to four nonprofits serving low-income older adults; funds provided by donors who contribute their social security checks.
* World Trade Center Memorial Foundation received hundreds of children’s drawings and craft projects from American Red Cross to be housed in Memorial Museum’s permanent collection.
* George Washington University School of Media and Public Affairs received $200,000 from John S. and James L. Knight Foundation to fund Prime Movers, program placing veteran journalists with minority high school students for four week periods to revitalize student media and generate interest in journalism careers.