* John S. and James L. Knight Foundation made $5 million grant to Campaign For Cultural Facilities, effort to raise $82.5 million for construction and renovation of Charlotte cultural facilities.
* Microsoft awarded grant to Thompson Child & Family Focus, Charlotte, totaling $128,000 in software, to improve organization’s efficiency.
* University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill alumnus Ralph L. Falls Jr. created endowment for six $25,000 stipends to Kenan-Flagler Business School MBA fellows demonstrating potential for leadership, academic achievement and diversity of life experiences.
* Arts & Science Council, Charlotte, announced The Light Factory as recipient of $25,000 McColl Award for commission of new work, River Docs, exhibit about Catawba River.
* Carolinas Credit Union Foundation made $10,000 Micro-Community Grant to Crisis Control Ministry, Winston-Salem, for Wee Care! children’s art show and cereal drive.
* Fairway Outdoor advertising company announced $15,500 sponsorship of Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce, to include billboards, posters and rotary bulletin to promote chamber’s 100-year anniversary.