* Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Foundation received grant from Michael Bloomberg as part of $125 million initiative to reduce worldwide dependence on tobacco. Other partners include Campaign for Tobacco Free-Kids, World Lung Foundation, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, World Health Organization.
* PGE Foundation, corporate foundation of Portland General Electric, awarded total of $191,500 to 17 Oregon nonprofits in third quarter.
* Kids Care Clubs, program of Points of Light Foundation, received mini-grants totaling $5,000 in 13 communities, thanks to donation from Home Depot, to allow children to make improvements or repairs to homes in needy communities.
* Atlanta Hawks basketball team unveiled Reading & Learning Center at Center for the Visually Impaired, part of NBA’s Read to Achieve program, and ninth Reading & Learning Center in Atlanta area.
* Planet Dog Foundation, Portland, Maine, announced five recipients of grants in year’s second cycle; grantees to receive $3,000 to $5,000 for programs using dogs for service.
* City of Hope, California hospital, received $15 million from anonymous donor toward construction of Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center for Cancer Immunotherapeutics and Tumor Immunology.
* Organic Bouquet “eco-wreath” retailer to donate portion of Pine Peace Wreaths to Adopt-a-Minefield.