* Self-made billionaire Eric E. Schmidt announced $2 million gift to Virginia Tech’s College of Engineering to create endowed dean’s chair in honor of Paul Torgerson, dean of college from 1970 to 1990, and wife, Dorthea Torgerson.
* Edward Jones financial services firm partnered with Crystal and John Beuerlein, chair of Drury University board of trustees and Edward Jones principal, to announce $2 million gift to establish Edward Jones Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Drury.
* James H. McKenna bequeathed entire $5 million estate to Telfair Museum of Art, Savannah, Ga., to be placed in endowment.
* Bush Foundation, Saint Paul, Minn., announced total of $10.5 million in grants to 68 organizations, including $1 million to Amherst Wilder Foundation, Saint Paul, and $1 million to Jamestown College, North Dakota.
* Cargill Meat Solutions Corporation announced plans to donate 18,000 pounds of Honeysuckle White turkeys to Ronald McDonald House Charities during Thanksgiving holiday.
* Foundation of American Society of Interior Designers received $10,000 grant from Council for Interior Design Accreditation to support standards revision project.
* JetBlue Airways, Nickelodeon and First Book donated 155,000 books to children in low-income families across U.S., with Long Beach, Calif., receiving 50,000 books for winning online literacy campaign competition.
* Deaver Foundation provided grant to SpanishNet College, creating cooperation agreement and scholarship fund for 2007 to offer Spanish language courses to educators and health care providers at half price.