* Robert Wood Johnson Foundation announced plans to establish national center for health policy at University of New Mexico through initial $18.5 million commitment.
* John S. and James L. Knight Foundation announced $3.2 million investment in Ashoka: Innovators for the Public, for selection of 15 social entrepreneurs for fellowships from communities funded by Knight.
* Community Reinvestment Fund, USA, Minneapolis-based organization linking community development experts with resources of Wall Street, received $5 million low-interest social investment loan from MetLife. Piper Jaffray pledged two-year, $300,000 grant to Fund.
* Teagle Foundation awarded eight grants totaling $1 million to higher education institutions to extend Foundation’s Fresh Thinking initiative, supporting projects with goal of strengthening liberal education.
* Altum, grant management advisor, donated $100 during each month of 2006 to charity of randomly-chosen employee’s choice.
* New York Life Insurance Company awarded five full-time college students with Cirilo A. McSween – New York Life – Rainbow/PUSH Excel Scholarship Award for achieving academic excellence and playing active roles in their communities.