* Verizon Foundation awarded $1 million grant to Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial Project Foundation to fund educational component of memorial’s visitor’s center in Washington, D.C. and online.
* David Rubenstein, Johns Hopkins University trustee and managing director of Carlyle Group, gave $5 million to Johns Hopkins to support new outpatient facility devoted to children and adolescent healthcare, to be named in his honor.
* Conrad N. Hilton Foundation awarded $2 million grant to Three Square, collaborative effort in Las Vegas to deliver nutritious meals to area’s poor; result of Foundation-funded study showing need to address hunger in Southern Nevada.
* Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to donate $2 million to charities across 30 states over two-day period as 70 new stores open or reopen as expanded Supercenters.
* Healthcare Georgia Foundation awarding 15 grants totaling $1.6 million to health-related organizations and programs.
* Morrison & Foerster Foundation awarded grants totaling $1 million to four nonprofits across country: $300,000 to Public Counsel; $250,000 to Inwood House; $250,000 to Seven Tepees; $200,000 to Colorado I Have A Dream Foundation.
* Rasmuson Foundation, Anchorage, awarded $205,000 in small capital grants to 10 Alaskan nonprofits in final quarter of 2006.
* Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation announced 2006-2007 winners of $15,000 Dissertation Fellowship grants, awarded to 15 Ph.D. students engaged in study of entrepreneurship.
* Alexandria Community Trust awarded organizational capacity-building grants totaling $50,000 to six nonprofits in Alexandria, Va., enabling them to assess internal effectiveness and implement strategic plans for serving children and families.
* Northeast Utilities Foundation, Conn., received $25 million endowment from Northeast Utilities to move forward with new framework for charitable giving and implement plans for long-term community investments.