* Communities in Schools of Charlotte-Mecklenburg received two $10,000 grants from Weyerhaeuser Company Foundation and Staples Foundation for Learning to support ThinkCOLLEGE, college access and advisement program for high school students.
* University of North Carolina at Asheville’s North Carolina Center for Health & Wellness received $10,000 gift from Progress Energy to fund faculty and undergraduate research of childhood obesity, workplace wellness and senior wellness.
* National Cancer Institute announced plans to renew designation of and funding for Comprehensive Cancer Care Center of Wake Forest University for additional five years; has held distinction since 1991.
* United Arts Council of Raleigh and Wake County received $50,000 from Jonathan R. Workman and Vanessa Albernaz, Greenville, as part of agreement in purchase from Rugerro Piano of special Bösendorfer piano, manufactured in honor of 250th birthday of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
* R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company’s Kool brand donated $39,500 to Meals-on-Wheels of Senior Services Inc. to provide 10,000 meals to more than 740 homebound clients in Forsyth County.
* Athletes United for Youth hosted Christmas Celebration for Youth in Charlotte, N.C., with holiday meal, entertainment, gifts and new winter coats for 160 inner-city youth; hosted Coat Drive for Kids & Families in December, collecting 1,100 coats to benefit families at Crisis Assistance Ministries, Charlotte.