* Stanley Medical Research Institute awarded $100 million gift to Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard to launch research center to combine studies of genomics and chemical biology, advancing understanding of severe mental illness.
* Baxter International and Baxter International Foundation announced combined 2006 charitable giving totaling $35 million in grants, gifts and in-kind donations.
* Shattuck Family Foundation donated $1 million to new burn unit in Children’s Tower of The Johns Hopkins Hospital; unit to be named for family.
* Johnson & Johnson to provide grants to organizations in five countries, via UN Trust Fund to End Violence Against Women, to address link between gender-based violence and spread of HIV/AIDS.
* University of Missouri-Columbia received $550,000 gift from F. Robert Naka to establish F. Robert and Patricia N. Naka Professorship in Electrical Engineering, in addition to fund created by Naka for endowed scholarship in 1991. University received gift of land worth $500,000 from alumnus Turner L. Vemer; sales proceeds to fund scholarships.
* Meyer Memorial Trust, Portland, Ore., awarded $500,000 grant to All Classical 89.9 KBPS radio station, aiding station in filling contractual commitment to purchase Portland Public School district’s federal broadcasting license for $5.5 million.
* Friends of African American Arts received a Jacob and Gwendolyn Lawrence Foundation endowment to support new lecture series at Telfair Museum of Art, Savannah, Ga.
* Sertoma Clubs of Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina announced partnership with North Carolina Banker’s Association to support Camp Challenge, summer camp teaching middle school students financial literacy, entrepreneurship and conflict resolution.