* Eddie and Jo Allison Smith donated $1.3 million to East Carolina University to create Eddie and Jo Allison Smith Endowed Chair at East Carolina Heart Institute, to be matched by $667,000 from University of North Carolina system.
* SPX Corporation President and CEO Chris Kearney and wife Susan Kearney committed $1 million to support charitable causes in North and South Carolina through newly-created, donor-advised Chris and Susan Kearney Fund, to be managed by Foundation For The Carolinas.
* Housing Partnership, Charlotte affordable housing builder, received $333,000 grant and offer of free staff training from NeighborWorks America, community development and housing support corporation.
* Nido Qubein Associates Foundation awarded $217,500 in four-year academic and need-based scholarships to nine students from High Point and Jamestown.
* N.C. GlaxoSmithKline Foundation increased its $25,000 science scholarship endowment at Queens University, Charlotte, to $50,000.
* BJH Foundation for Senior Services, Greensboro, awarded total of $130,000 in grants to 14 programs benefiting Jewish senior citizens in North and South Carolina.
* Lowes Foods will present donations totaling $15,500 to Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest N.C. April 5; funds raised through two Lowes Foods promotions.
* Brenner Children’s Hospital received $8,000 donation from Triad Association of Health Underwriters following Association’s charity golf tournament.