* Brown Rudnick Charitable Foundation launched monthly community grant program for improved inner-city education; first grant awarded to Boston Save the Harbor/Save the Bay program for marine education skills.
* Hubbard Street Dance Chicago received $60,000 for 2006-2007 season from Shubert Foundation; another $50,000 awarded by Brinson Foundation.
* Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, N.Y., received $25 million gift from Stanley Medical Research Institute to build Stanley Center for Psychiatric Genomics on Long Island.
* William and Flora Hewlett Foundation awarded total of $100.3 million in grants to 144 organizations worldwide in six primary areas of interest.
* John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation awarded $550,000, University of Southern California’s Center of Public Diplomacy, effort to explore role of philanthropy in virtual worlds.
* Mobile C.A.R.E., Chicago, to receive $325,000 for each of three years from United Way to support child asthma care in underserved schools, communities.
* Fifteen K-12 schools to receive nearly $75,000 each in grants from Hewlett-Packard Technology and Teaching Program; HP will work with technology vendors SMART Technologies, Adobe Sytems, DyKnow, to increase educational achievement through technological devices, resources.
* America’s Promise Alliance presented Colin and Alma Powell Legacy Award of $100,000 to Vito Marcantonio School in East Harlem, N.Y.