* KidsPeace, children’s crisis charity, and GRAND Magazine to present GRANDParent of The Year Award, effort to recognize role of grandparents in raising U.S. children, deadline for nominations Sept. 5.
* William “Bill” Garcia, formerly with United Way of Central Carolinas, named interim executive director, International House, Charlotte.
* GrantCraft released “Funder’s Guide to Evaluation: Leveraging Evaluation to Improve Nonprofit Effectiveness,” collection of briefing notes to help grantmakers understand evaluative approaches.
* 2007 Arizona Benefits Charity Award, $100,000 grant to Greater Phoenix-area charity, created by Humana, health benefits company; deadline for applications Aug. 31.
* Hispanic Teleservices Corporation philanthropy program, focused on improving lives of children, has tripled amount of donations collected by employees; $40,000 already donated for 2007.
* Linda Stiff, deputy commissioner for operations support, IRS, named deputy commissioner for services and enforcement; will serve as IRS acting commissioner beginning in mid-September.
* Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration, Connecticut, held Ocean Commotion Aug. 4, annual black tie fundraiser to care for 3,000 aquarium animals.
* Pam Garza, former director of National Collaboration for Youth/National Human Services Assembly, appointed national project director for professional development, National 4-H Council.
* Acumen Fund, focusing on poverty in Africa and South Asia, announced $1.5 million equity investment in Ziqitza Healthcare Limited, offering ambulance services to urban India.
* Through its InTandem newsletter, Community Foundations of America announced new name, GivingNet, Inc., effective immediately.
* Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Dallas, announced staff appointments:
- Kevin Speirits, former president of corporate finance at Freescale Semiconductor, Scotland, named chief financial officer
- Diana Rowden, former chairman of the board, named vice president of health sciences
- Jonathan Blum, former corporate associate, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, named associate general council
* California Endowment launched $6 million campaign beginning Aug. 1, including television and newspaper ads calling for health care reform by policymakers.
* National Alliance for Caregiving and MetLife Foundation honored 2007 winners of National Family Caregiving Awards, recognizing outstanding community-based programs.
* William T. Grant Foundation seeking project proposals supporting intervention research to improve youth-serving organizations; letters of inquiry due Oct. 4, full proposals due Jan. 31; visit website for more information.
* During annual MGM MIRAGE Voice Foundation pledge drive, employees raised record $6.2 million benefiting communities where they live, funding 87 grants to over 70 nonprofits.
* Nonprofit “mixed-reality” gala event, celebrating opening of Nonprofit Commons, community in Second Life virtual world, Aug. 14, San Francisco.
* Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy accepting applications for 8th annual Excellence in Corporate Philanthropy Awards; deadline Oct. 3.
* Project Peds, international health initiative begun by World Children’s Initiative, launching $1 million fundraising campaign to benefit healthcare in Sri Lanka