* Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia, received $1.5 million gift from Aaron Rosand and Monica Woo to create Aaron Rosand Chair in Violin Studies.
* Gulf Coast Fund for Community Renewal and Ecological Health, New York, awarded grants totaling $300,000 to 27 community-based groups across Gulf Coast region.
* Western New Mexico University received $10,000 grant from Qwest Foundation to sponsor computer literacy classes for local high school students.
* Boeing Company awarded $50,000 from its Global Corporate Citizenship disaster relief team budget to endowment created by Student Engineers’ Council at Virginia Tech; endowment benefits student design teams.
* Children and Families of Iowa Child Development Center, Des Moines, received $6,200 from Qwest Foundation for educational programming and materials for at-risk kids ages 2-6.
* Affordable Housing Program, Harrisburg, Penn., received $1.3 million in grants; announced group has invested $100 million in affordable housing and build 20,000 units since 1990.
* Children’s Hunger Fund received almost 250,000 pieces of nutrition-focused publications from Dole Food Company to be included with charity’s packets of staple foods delivered to needy families.
* Chicago Human Rhythm Project received $30,000 grant from Illinois Arts Council through National Endowment for the Arts’ American Masterpieces National Initiative to support residency by performance ensemble BAM! in Bloomington, Ill., Sept. 27-28.
* Knight Digital Media Center, program of John S. and James L. Knight foundation, to increase training and become “virtual center” helping journalists succeed in 21st century; awarded $2.4 million to University of Southern California to increase workshops for journalists; awarded $1.5 million to NPR to aid expansion into digital news.
* Qwest Communications awarded $1,000 to each of 20 Minnesota schools for achieving highest levels of parent participation in Qwest’s Online Safety Certification program.
* Virginia G. Piper Charitable Trust, Scottsdale, Ariz., awarded grants totaling almost $5.3 million to 27 local nonprofits.
* America’s Promise Alliance, Alexandria, Va., received $250,000 grant from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to support 15 in 5, campaign to improve lives of 15 million youth over 5 years.
* Belo Corp. created $50,000 endowment to support Hays Press-Enterprise Lecture; gift awarded in honor of France A. Cordova, former Belo board member and chancellor of University of California Riverside from 2003-2007.
* West Philadelphia YMCA received $25,000 from Pepsi Bottling Group for “Pepsi Family Room,” part of program for at-risk communities, “Strong Families; Strong Children; Strong Communities.”
* Wyoming Public Television received $5,000 from Qwest Foundation for Ready to Learn literacy program.
* Many Hands Foundation won inaugural $500 grant from MyQuire; funds will be used for community efforts in South Africa.
* Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Williamsburg, Va., received $1 million challenge grant from National Endowment for the Humanities; must raise additional $3 million for endowment for African American history interpretation.