* Sarasota Opera, Florida, received $50,000 from Private Client Group of National City Corporation to support “Building on the Vision” capital campaign to renovate opera house.
* Pathfinder International received $11 million grant from John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to distribute anti-shock garments to lessen deaths from postpartum bleeding in India and Nigeria.
* Center for Nonprofit Leadership and Management, Arizona State University, received $5 million gift from Lodestar Foundation to expand programs strengthening nonprofits.
* West Virginia University, Morgantown, W.Va., received $25 million from Jo and Ben Statler, McMurray, Penn., and Naples, Fla., for Comprehensive Breast Cancer Program at Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center to bring care to rural areas of state.
* Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, Detroit, awarded 18 grants totaling $12.9 million to nonprofits in seven-county region and beyond.
* Edwin L. Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University, Dallas, received $5 million gift from businessman Edwin L. Cox to support merit-based undergraduate scholarships.
* Virginia Tech received five pledges totaling more than $50 million to its $1 billion Campaign for Virginia Tech: Invent the Future.
* Carnegie Mellon University received $25 million from Richard King Mellon Foundation to be invested in life sciences initiatives with focus on research and education field’s next generation of leaders.
* United Way, Alexandria, Va., received $1.7 million grant from JCPenney Afterschool Fund to provide financial assistance to K-12 students otherwise unable to participate in afterschool programs.
* Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech, received $1 million gift from BB&T Charitable Foundation to create teaching program in college’s finance department to explore foundations of capitalism and freedom.
* World Health Organization World Alliance for Patient Safety received almost $35,000 in proceeds from sale of book, “YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider’s Handbook For Getting The Best Treatment,” by Joint Commission Resources.
* California Community Foundation, Los Angeles, awarded $3.73 million in grants to 31 nonprofits working in underserved communities in Los Angeles County; awarded 17 grants totaling more than $6.6 million to hospitals and groups providing health services to Centinela Valley.
* HP awarded grants totaling more than $3 million in cash and equipment to two- and four-year colleges and universities as part of 2008 Technology for Teaching Grant initiative.
* Center for Jewish History, New York, N.Y., received $670,000 grant from Leon Levy Foundation to catalog 1,200 linear feet of archival materials from over 50 collections.
* Sight Savers of Alabama: The Children’s Eye Care Network received $50,000 Visionary Monetary Award from EyeSight Foundation of Alabama.
* Atlanta Symphony Orchestra received three-year $1 million grant from Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, New York City, to support recordings, Atlanta School of Composers and Theatre of a Concert.