* California Endowment, Los Angeles, pledged $750,000 to Southern California wildfire relief efforts; grants will go to nonprofits, health clinics serving low-income kids and families in need.
* Healthcare Georgia Foundation awarded grants totaling more than $1.1 million to 10 Georgia-based groups serving the uninsured, Medicaid recipients, and other vulnerable populations.
* New England Aquarium, Boston, received $3 million gift from New Balance Foundation to help build New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center and develop programs using seals and sea lions to promote childhood fitness.
* American Bird Conservancy received three-year $437,000 grant from Leon Levy Foundation, New York, for program aimed at reducing mortality of migratory birds killed in collisions with man-made structures and publication of new book, “Field Guide to Bird Conservation.”
* Brooklyn Public Library received two-year $310,000 grant from New York Life Foundation to develop pilot Brooklyn Connections, program educating eighth graders about historical, cultural resources at library’s Brooklyn Connection.
* RedWeek.com, marketplace connecting travelers to time-share community, to match donations to Christel House International, Seattle, up to $50,000 until total of $100,000 is raised.
* Qwest Foundation awarded additional $50,000 to Qwest Teachers and Technology grant program, partnership of foundation and Utah State Office of Education to provide technology to classrooms.
* Student Engineers’ Council, student group of Virginia Tech, has contributed more than $400,000 in support to College of Engineering’s undergraduate programs over past eight years, donations on track to exceed $1 million by 2010.
* National Marine Sanctuary Foundation awarded 13 grants ranging from $14,500 to $25,000 each from Ernest F. Hollings Ocean Awareness Trust Fund to increase public awareness of ocean issues, including marine debris, pollution, human interaction with marine animals.
* Western Union Foundation donated $25,000 to International Federation of Red Cross, Red Crescent Societies to help victims of Tropical Storm Noel.
* Safeway Inc. donating $17 million for breast cancer research and prevention programs in U.S. and Canada.
* New Concepts Disabled Children’s Foundation, Bergen County, N.J., received $2,985 donation from L&S Packing Company, East Farmingdale, N.Y.
* Cargill Meat Solutions, Wichita, Kan., donating about 110,000 pounds of turkey to help feed hungry during holidays as part of its national More To Share program.