* University of California, San Diego, received $100,000 anonymous gift supporting Eugene M. Burke C.S.P. Lectureship at Center for the Humanities; gift to sponsor series featuring religious scholars, authors, leaders.
* California Council of Land Trusts received two-year $200,000 grant from Alcoa Foundation for program identifying, addressing impacts of climate change on land and water conserved by California land trusts.
* Safeway Inc. and Prostate Cancer Foundation donating $3 million each to S.T.A.R. Program, Special Team Amplification of Research, interdisciplinary team of investigators from cancer research centers.
* University of California, Los Angeles, received $30 million from performer Herb Alpert and wife Lani Hall Alpert to form and endow UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music.
* The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C., collection of impressionist and modern art, received $150,000 grant from Institute of Museum and Library Sciences to create online catalogue of holdings and search engine.
* Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital received technology valued at almost $580,000 from HP; also received $500,000 cash grant from company to start research project to bring about faster, safer, personalized patient care.
* Southern Methodist University received $3.3 million bequest from estate of Catherine Perrine, wife of late English professor Laurence Perrine, to fund scholarships and endowed faculty chair in Dedman College’s English department.
* Perkins community Center, Boston, received community grant from Brown Rudnick Charitable Foundation to support purchase of toys, games, equipment for child daycare program at Anthony Perkins Adult Learning Program in Dorchester.