* Judy Martinez of Raleigh and Katy MacDonald of Hillsborough honored by Ronald McDonald House of Durham for long-term volunteer efforts on behalf of the charity.
* Jane Pinsky, former lobbyist, named director, N.C. Coalition for Lobbying and Government Reform, Raleigh.
* College of Nursing at East Carolina University received $667,000 challenge grant from C.D. Spangler Foundation and $333,000 in state matching funds from Distinguished Professors Endowment Trust Fund to endow Chancellor Richard R. Eakin professorship.
* Charlotte Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, sorority committed to public service, presenting fifth annual Legacy of Black Women, short film showcase featuring African-American female filmmakers, Jan. 18, Spirit Square, Charlotte.
* WoW, social group for widows and widowers, holding free Holiday Open House Dec. 18, 7-9 p.m., Hospice & Palliative Care Center, Winston-Salem; registration required at 336.577.8895.
* Harriet Frink Davis, former director of development and alumni affairs, North Carolina A&T University, named assistant vice president for development, Hampton University, Hampton, Va.
* Veronica Cruz Sanchez, Human Rights Watch’s 2006 Human Rights Defender of the Year, to speak in Triangle:
- Jan. 24, 5:30 p.m., El Peublo, Raleigh
- Jan. 27, 5 p.m., Chicle, Carrboro
* Catalyst Fund at Tides Foundation awarded $800,000 in matching grants to eight public foundations to support reproductive justice work by women of color.