* GLOBIO, education nonprofit, Portland, Ore., received grant from Google to help leverage power of Google AdWords.
* Staples Inc., Framingham, Mass., presented National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship with $10,000 donation during opening of Copy and Print Shop Jan. 16.
* Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation and William and Flora Hewlett Foundation awarded six $50,000 each grants for creation and world premiere of six major new musical compositions by leading young California composers.
* Thomas and Jeanne Elmezzi Private Foundation, Great Neck, N.Y., awarded $15 million grant to North Shore-LIJ Health System for endowment of Elmezzi Graudate School of Molecular Medicine.
* Wisconsin nonprofits received total of more than $233,000 from Verizon Foundation in 2007 to help boost literacy skills, develop new approaches to technology-based learning, help domestic violence victims.
* Prince George’s Community Foundation, Landover, Md., awarded 30 grants totaling $329,000 from its National Harbor Community Outreach Grant Fund for 2008; grants to support arts, education, recreation, and more.
* UPS Foundation, Atlanta, Ga., pledged $60.8 million to United Way during 2007 campaign; employees at UPS’s corporate headquarters donated more than $4.45 million.
* Kresge Foundation, Troy, Mich., approved 65 grants totaling $49.8 million for organizations in 28 states, D.C., Canada, South Africa.
* Pew Center on the States’ Make Voting Work initiative and the JEHT Foundation, Washington, D.C., awarding a total of $2.5 million in funding to 16 projects to examine flaws in election system and improve quality for voters; additional $1 million to be awarded in next six months.
* Fresno West Coalition for Economic Development, Fresno, Calif., awarded $8,000 Technology Upgrade grant from AT&T to enhance computer capacity.
* The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, Washington, announced grant program to enable National Scholar alumni to pursue graduate/doctoral degree programs; grant program made possible by $10 million donation from member Dennis Washington, wife Phyllis; program to give up to $20,000 annually per scholar.
* Philanthropists Phillip and Patricia Frost donated $1 million to Scripps Florida, Jupiter, Fla., biomedical research campus under construction.
* First Charter Corporation and Fifth Third Bancorp announced donation of $25,000 to Pride Entrepreneur Education Program. Charlotte, N.C.; funding will be first scholarships PEEP will award African-American youth.
* Alibris, Emeryville, Calif., provided $3,000 book grants each to International Community School in Deacatur, Ga.; Katrina Research Center Repository at University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Miss.
* Richard and Rhonda Goldman Fund has given two-year grant of $900,000 to WaterAid America, New York, N.Y., to support rural work in Africa, Asia.
*Chicago Community Trust will commit additional $50 million for next five years to improve education in Chicago schools.
* Bakers Square restaurants, Denver, Colo., will donate 50 percent of sales on National Pie Day, Jan. 23, to Make-A-Wish foundation with minimum donation of $25,000.