* Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, New York, awarded grants for publishing of four proposed collaboration books in four underserved scholarly fields: Slavic studies, American literature, South Asian studies, ethnomusicology.
* Harris Corporation Charitable Fund donated $5 million to Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Fla., to focus on global information security problem.
* Qwest Foundation donated total of $520,000 to various Utah organizations in 2007; employees, retirees volunteered more than 97,100 hours.
* UnitedHealthcare, Cypress, Calif., to support DAISY Foundation’s The Daisy Award for Extraordinary Nurses with $32,000 grant.
* Summa Foundation, Akron, Ohio, gave nearly $7.5 million in donations in 2007 for medical education, research, clinical care.
* Qwest Foundation, Minneapolis, to award total of $100,000 to Minnesota public school teachers this spring for Teachers & Technology grant program.
* Verizon Foundation, Santa Monica, Calif., donated total of $10.4 million to nonprofits in N.Y and total of $67.4 million to nationwide groups in 2007.
* Sunlight Foundation, Washington D.C., received $2 million grant from Omidyar Network.
* PepsiCo, Purchase, N.Y., to give $6 million over three-year period to Earth Institute; partnered with H20 Africa to donate $2.5 million this year.
* Verizon Foundation awarded total of $341,000 to 58 nonprofit literacy programs in Maryland.
* Qwest Foundation donated more than $255,000 to various nonprofits in New Mexico in 2007; employees and retirees volunteered more than 30,000 hours.
* Qwest Foundation, Albuquerque, N.M., announced $1,500 grant to Farmington Chamber of Commerce CHOICES program.
* Alameda County Community Food Bank, Oakland, Calif., received $1.2 million from small group of anonymous supporters for capital campaign.
* Rasmuson Foundation, Anchorage, awarded small capital grants totaling $290,804 to 13 Alaskan nonprofits in late 2007.
* Virgina G. Piper Charitable Trust, Scottsdale, Ariz., awarded grants totaling $3.7 million to Maricopa County for resources for children, civic engagement among older adults.
* Principal Financial Group Foundation, Des Moines, to donate $25,000 to help create Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial in Washington D.C.
* Hala Moddelmog, CEO, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Atlanta, received Encore Career Award for most fascinating career change from Boardwalk Consulting.