FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — United Way of Cumberland County has awarded a total of $300,000 in grants to 28 programs from its Youth Growth Stock Trust.
The Youth Stock Trust, created in 1992 by an anonymous Fayetteville resident, uses net income and donations to provide funding for programs and services addressing educational and developmental needs of youth in Cumberland County.
Grantees are selected by the trust’s grant committee, which includes Anne Nimrocks, administrator of the trust, and five volunteers.
Some of the largest 2008 grants include:
- Scholarships for high-school seniors — $20,000 for Westover Academy of Health Sciences; $20,000 for Douglas Byrd Academy of Finance; $19,500 for College Tech Prep
- $16,860 for Fayetteville Family Life Center’s We Care Children’s Fund
- $15,000 for United Way of Cumberland County’s Dolly Parton Imagination Library
- $15,000 for St. Ann Catholic Church Neighborhood Youth Center
- $15,000 for Planned Parenthood of North Carolina’s “Meeting Young People Where They Are” prevention initiative