RALEIGH, N.C. — Members of the Health Access Coalition at the N.C. Justice Center have developed a plan to improve the state’s health coverage.
Under the “Guaranteed Affordable Choice” plan, which the coalition says would guarantee quality coverage for all North Carolinians:
* Those already insured would keep their current coverage if they are happy with it.
* Those without coverage, or unhappy with their current coverage, would be able to select from a range of health plans.
* Small businesses would get subsidies to insure their owners and employees.
* Insurance companies would not be able to charge higher rates or deny anyone health coverage because of a pre-existing condition.
* Every child in the state would be guaranteed affordable health coverage.
The plan also would support collaboration with research centers to evaluate medical treatments and procedures.
The Justice Center developed the plan in response to skyrocketing health-plan costs for small businesses and data showing 1.5 million North Carolinians lack health coverage.
“Our health system is already changing – for the worse,” Adam Searing, project director of the health access coalition, says in a statement. “Sitting back and doing nothing is no longer an option. We must act.”
The full plan is available at the N.C. Justice Center website.