As donors facing a down economy become more selective about where their charitable dollars are going, Arabella Philanthropic Investment Advisors has identified seven focus areas that need the most attention, the company says in its annual High Impact Opportunities report.
Those focus areas include:
* Political engagement — The recent presidential election underscores the need to engage people, especially youth, in political discourse and the voting process.
* Global food crises– Support for small-scale farming has the potential to combat worldwide food shortages.
* Climate change — Putting a green-collar workforce in place could help meet demands for new sources of energy.
* Conflict resolution — Investing in programs that reduce youth and gang violence may help bridge divides and eliminate prejudice.
* Disaster response — In areas hit by recent natural disasters, many basic needs have not yet been addressed.
* Economic development — Supporting education and the job creation may increase American competitiveness in the global marketplace.
* Global health — Finding cures for tropical diseases that affect millions throughout the world has the potential to break the cycle of global poverty.
Arabella Philanthropic Investment Advisors, a national strategic advisor for foundations and individual donors, offers insights on how to transform philanthropic dollars into results.