RALEIGH, N.C. – The Salvation Army of Wake County has launched a capital campaign to raise $12 million to replace and expand its current facilities and address rising demand for services.
The campaign, which already has raised over $7.1 million, will fund construction of a 41,000-square-foot Center of Hope through renovation of the former Edwards & Broughton Printing Co. facility at 1863 Capital Boulevard.
The agency hopes to move into the new facility by summer 2011.
Renovation of the brick structure will include a 92-bed women and children’s shelter that will almost triple the capacity of its current facility on South Person Street in downtown Raleigh.
It also will include a full-service commercial kitchen; classrooms for lifestyle, job and parenting training; space for an expanded pantry, food storage and age-appropriate classrooms; and a new dental clinic for the homeless and uninsured.
The center also will house administrative offices for the Salvation Army.
Co-chaired by James F. Goodmon Jr., vice president of the New Media Group at Capitol Broadcasting Co., and his mother, Barbara Goodmon, president and executive director of the A.J. Fletcher Foundation, the campaign has received pledges of $2.5 million from Judy D. Zelnak and Stephen Zelnak, chairman retired CEO of Martin Marietta Materials, and $1 million from the Fletcher Foundation.
The facility will be named the Judy D. Zelnak Center of Hope, and the shelter will be named the Barbara A. Goodmon Women & Children’s Shelter.
The Salvation Army, which in 2009 served over 120,000 individuals, or 10 percent of Wake’s population, turns away 50 to 75 families a week who need help with utilities, rent and other basic needs.
The Salvation Army’s only other campaign, over 30 years ago, raised money for construction of its community center at 902 Wake Forest Rd.