The Institute for Nonprofits at NC State University is a sponsor of the 12th annual Social Equity Leadership Conference, “Globally Engaged, Locally Responsible: New Challenges for Social Equity,” to be held Wednesday through Friday in Raleigh. The event is open to the general public and will involve scholars and practitioners from around the world.
The conference is co-chaired by Jade Berry James, associate professor and director of graduate programs at the NCSU School of Public and International Affairs, and Tracey Ray, assistant vice provost for student diversity at the NCSU Office of Institutional Equity & Diversity.
Click here for the full schedule. Key events include the following:
2:45 p.m. Wednesday: Our Foundation Focus
- James Gore, Program Officer, Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation
- Stacey Parker-Fisher, Program Officer, Oak Foundation
- Damon Circosta, Executive Director, A.J. Fletcher Foundation
- Gail Christopher, Vice President Program Strategy, W. K. Kellogg Foundation
- Mary Tschirhart, Director, Institute for Nonprofits, Moderator
This panel of nonprofit professionals will discuss the research, needs and grantmaking interests of their foundations. Specifically, their presentations will explore the following questions: What issues are they seeing in the grant community and what are they trying to do to address the issue? What do they see as research needs to assist with or improve their grantmaking practices to address these issues?
8-9:30 a.m. Thursday: Keynote, “Thick Social Equity”
- George Fredrickson, the “father of social equity,” is the Distinguished Professor in the Department of Public Administration at the University of Kansas, Lawrence and President Emeritus of Eastern Washington University.
9:30 a.m. Thusday: Local Nonprofits: Community Commitments and Research Needs
- Alan Winstead,Executive Director, Meals on Wheels of Wake County
- Beth Briggs, President, Creative Philanthropy
- Wendy L. Green, Director, North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Incarcerated Youth Advocacy Project
- Dana Boole, President & Chief Executive Officer, Community Affordable Housing Coalition
- Eileen Hannan, Program Coordinator, Institute for Nonprofits, Moderator
This panel of North Carolina practitioners serves our local community. Their presentations highlight organizational commitment to assess and meet the needs of our local community. Panelists were invited to address these questions: How are they committed to community needs? What are their research needs?
For information about the conference or to register, visit http://oied.ncsu.edu/selc/.